Monday, October 6, 2008

My Language Beliefs

Language to me is very important because the ability to communicate can make you powerful. I have found in class discussions that being able a speak other languages and being unable to speak a language can effect the way people act and the way people see others. I remember one of the speakers who came to class who told us a story about when she was at a party in South Africa and some South Africans told her a cheers in Afrikaans. She went around South Africa doing this cheer at parties and getting dirty looks for it. Eventually someone told her it meant something bad and that would not be said at parties. These South Africans had power over her because they knew the language and she didn't. I believe this is a good example of how powerful language really is.

No comments: